Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Do you prefer to keep your games files zipped or unzipped and why? Bonus topic: Anyone else wants to eventually reach the level of Chuck (Level 99)?

Valiarius

I personally prefer to keep my game files zipped, unless the game sizes are above 1 GB. I simply hate waiting for loading times when trying to play my games.

What about you guys and gals, zipped or unzipped? And why?

Bonus: I plan on reaching Level 99 on this forum, eventually.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I keep everything zipped.  On an SSD it isn't too bad extracting and saves that precious space.  I abhor 7zip though.  It takes way too long to compress/uncompress.

Roms i keep zipped as long as it works fine, with hd space as cheap as it is I dont stress is too much. If an emulator supports compressed iso's natively (Dolphin, PCSX2) I do this, if not I use windows compression on my isos.  

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have many sets of roms but for the purposes on running my setup on Android it's better to be unzipped.

Except MAME. Or until I learn an android emu can deal with compressed files

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I tend to keep everything unzipped; storage is fairly cheap now and transfer speeds on newer drives (depending on connection type) are pretty good.  On my new Mini-ITX system I have the emulators and everything installed on a 512GB PCIe SSD and all of the games on a 2TB SSHD with space for another 2.5" drive if needed.

I know the processor and RAM usage for decompresssing an archive is pretty minimal for small ROMs, but I like the idea of minimizing any performance impact on the emulation.

On 15/9/2016 at 11:19 PM, LukeArio said:

Everything unzipped, except for arcade roms.

+1, as Peacefullydisturbed said storage is cheap nowadays and IMO there is no point in zipping files and having to deal with clean extracted files and other sort of problems.

48 minutes ago, Twistar said:

Gzip inst loads PS2 file you have to add the .gz extention to you XPCX2  config. and away you go. but it can take a full day to make 1 gz ps2 iso

Instant load? O.o it's hard to believe but definitely I should research on that 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived