Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Upscaling to 1080p

beev

I generally use retroarch when possible.  I have yet to bother trying to upscale any of the games because it felt good looking at the way they're suppose to be, but sometimes I wonder if it would look better filling my entire screen.  I also use pcsx2 and plan on using dolphin when I get my new intel setup. 

Do most of you upscale your emulated games to higher definitions if possible?  Ever notice any graphical glitches or miscellaneous issues?

Since most of the games were created for 4:3 aspect ratio most of the games are going to look stretched.  IMHO, they look like garbage unless they are at their native resolution.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully I'll be able to play with this soon.  Want to see how stretched it looks, films just look like a choppy reception  no fun

I typically didn't upscale to a 16:9 resolution.  I would find a 4:3 resolution that fit, but usually would upscale and add antialiasing and such to improve graphics.  My only advice is not to go overboard on the after effects too much can ruin the experience IMHO.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I keep native resolutions. But I reccomend looking into bezzels/overlays and crt shaders for optimal looks. Stretching 240p to such large resolutions look awful on crts imo. Scanline filters help a lot.

• 1 month later...

Every time you play with stretched image… God kills a kitten

Seriously, upscaling does not necessarily imply stretching. Upscaling while maintaining the aspect ratio is the way to go!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not talking about RetroArch specifically.

I try to use screen native resolution, because for digital displays their native resolution is the only one that works best.

I always always prefer to keep original game aspect ratio (I am ok with black sides - or even some bezel graphics).

I do not use smoothing filters. The mess original graphics that EXPECTED to be pixelated.

I do use effect shaders that simulate the display of the original platform. Again because original graphics were designed with that in mind.

Check this out too...

• 3 weeks later...

The best way to play retro games is on crt tv (a kind way to say it). Still it so strange that they are not making a engine which will reproduce the CRT. Just seen some Unreal engine ones but not usable for the current emulators I guess.

• 2 months later...

I want to keep resolution for the older 4:3 games but put an overlay for each system individually. Can anyone point me to some instructions for doing that in launchbox?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

For me it depends on what i'm playing it on. When i play on my projector, bigger is better (and no gray bars), so i upscale and stretch to 16:9. On my PC monitor i usually use some smoothing shaders (especially for PSX, didn't age too well unfortunately), but for my cab i will try to make it look as authentic as possible.

I guess it also depends on the game: for games like Final Fantasy the art is already beautiful within their original limitations, they tried to get the maximum out of the available assets. For something like Super Off Road, which i still like to play with friends, it's more playable with updated graphics.

Archived