Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

What made you build your own Arcade Cabinet?

multimeechy

I'm thinking about building my own Arcade cabinet. I just love the style and sleek designs, I been seeing online? I have alot of old retro games and system and I'm actually getting tired of cable management and buying different online parts to keep my older systems up to date (EX: RF converter to HDMI). I just found out that one of my favorite gameboy color games internal batteries have died. Anyway, what are some of the reasons you build your own cabinet?  

• Like 1

I built mine simply for nostalgia.  I spent many hours in arcades standing up in front of the machines ( I always thought people who sat at machines were lazy haha).  Anyway, at work I sit all day so when I get home and want to relax I like to get some standing time in at my cabinet.  It keeps the circulation in my legs going strong.

• Like 2

Basically, as talbin, for nostalgia. But also because I really like to play some arcade games. The PC and console actual games are amazing graphically, but totally different to the classical games. I like both.

• Like 1

Yea, I'm beginning to see what you guys are talking about. I actually played Bugsy 2 on SNES this morning and it almost made me cry, thinking about all the old times I had playing this game with my brother. Anyway the nostalgia feeling is defiantly there.

• Like 1

For me its nostalgia. although I'm considering building a free standing arcade control panel with the TV mounted to the wall. this will allow me to upgrade to a larger TV when I have more money to spend on the TV. I could also then wheel it out of the way If I just wanted to use it as a TV.

Classic and retro.These two words made me i wanna built my own cabinet.It is something that the next generations MUST see, how were the games back then....

• 3 weeks later...

Mostly nostalgia as everyone else but also because I've never been much of an "laborer" (not sure of the word) So I really want to build something on my own, whatever time it will take me. I guess the feeling will be a lot better than just buying it. Moreover you can find a lot of useful videos, plans, etc on how to build you own cabinet/bartop

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted the nastalgia back, the arcade makes it so much more fun and for the amount of time i spend playing the old retro games it makes it so worth it

I was building one mostly for nostalgia but also there is something about an arcade setup that brings people together.  My best memories ended up being of my friends and family enjoying my setup. 

• 1 month later...

As most others have said I have a few arcade cabinets for nostalgic purposes. Emulators are great, but to use then in a cabinet with an original crt monitor is perfect. 

Nostalgia plays a large part, Also being a "old skool" gamer then Its as much of a necesity to me as having a PS4!

Besides playing old Games with a keyboard is just not the same as a old school joystick and buttons.

Then there is the feeling of woping ya mates ass while hes standing next to you and nudgeing you in the ribs laughing and joking!

The truth is gaming has lost its magic a bit for me, I am not sure what percentage is the industry and what % is me being a grumpy old fart. But kids these days gaming dont know about the old ways of inviting your mates around to play Mario Kart and swapping games with mates.

Its all faceless over the internet these days, Dont get me wrong I love playing online games and the modern GFX etc just as much as the next guy but its not the same as 8/16 bit games of old. They just dont have the charm anymore and I think having a cabinet running such things is a way to preserve those days.

Well atleast in my mind it is.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It was to prove that I could build something no one that I knew had.  The ability to play games that I knew as a kid  actually made me feel like a kid again.  If only I had my box of Pac-Man cereal to eat as I played.....

• Like 2

I agree with everything said above. Mine has brought back so many memories. I don't play my cabinet as much as my computer hooked up to my 55 inch using usb of original controllers(snes nes) but I still use the exact same setup for both(i.e. hyperspin and rl.).

I mainly did it so my young kids could see the way it used to be. Plus I like being the envy of my friends and family.

For me is childhood memories, during the summers i used to beg my parents for some coins and went to the arcades to meet my friends and try to get to that next bubble bobble level. 

Ive been dreaming to build my own cabinet for more than 3 years now. I have even made a small bartop but now im going for the big one. I attach a sketch for you guys

Screenshot_2016-08-08-07-59-03~2.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I built one because its always been a fantasy of mine. Like when people say "What would you buy if you won the lottery" and I know on that list would be a few arcade cabinets, then boom..found out i didnt need to win the lottery and started right away

• 3 months later...

I think the people that really want to build a cabinet, and not just because "everyone's doing it". are those that have been exposed to the original experience.

Nothing beats playing arcade games in their original form, just as nothing beats playing retro games in their original hardware.

• 2 months later...