Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Suggestions for a 32" LCD

parityclaws

I am in the process of planning a vewlix clone build.  It will be a 2P cabinet and I have decided to go with a 32" screen.  Because of space constraints and potential regular moving a CRT is out and I will be using a LCD.

This cab will be primarily used for mame and PC fighting games (e.g. SF, MK etc).  Reading around a number of people have suggested to use a 4K screen to make the most of HLSL shaders and also one with G-sync or Freesync.  Now I am not made of money and there are only 2 options that fit those features, where I live there is a Samsung (for around $1300AUD) otherwise I would need to import an Acer Predator (about $2000).  Now I really don't want to spend that much money.

My other and probably more sensible option is to buy a Sony LCD HDTV (around $550 new, cheaper second hand) which reportedly has pretty low input lag/response time.

Taking into consideration, that money is a consideration here, i the last option the best?  What are the pro's/con's of going with a 32" LCD HDTV?

Thanks I needed to hear that :), I really don't want to spend so much money on a screen unless it's necessary.  Can always upgrade in a few years if need be for a much more affordable price.  And I will start a thread with pics once I make a real start sometime in the next few weeks.

I am doing lots of research.  I am still not 100% sold on a Vewlix, I wouldn't mind adding spinners, a trackball and maybe some light guns, which would look out of place on a Vewlix, decisions :)

I've been reading on light guns as well.  Oddly enough, it was my wife who mentioned she loved playing the shooting games back in the day! 

Sometimes you just get lucky :woot:

I would also advise against gsync or freesync monitors.  I think the technology still needs to stabilize and we need more support in emulators first.  I've read a lot of threads where people still have issues with input lag or tearing.  I use the GPU hard sync feature in retroarch to deal with that.  Works like a charm for input lag, which is really important on fighters, and I don't get an screen tearing or audio issues.  It also has a feature that syncs your games refresh directly to your monitor by analyzing its capabilities.

When you are all setup let me know if you want any help with doing that.

I put up some pics of a defender cabinet that my cousin and I worked on in the gallery.  We spent a year doing it since we aren't the most skilled at restoring cabinets but we learned a lot during the way.  What made you shy away from the Vewlix?

Love the defender cab, top work.  The reason I am thinking of something else than the Vewlix is I am chasing the difficult ask of making an all-in-one cab.  I want something that will be 2P, have trackball and spinner and also light guns, so the Vewlix is out simply because I need something good for standing up.  I don't really have the room for 2 cabs so I need to make do with one, still looking at different plans etc.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 7:27 PM, badflame said:

For great sizes, I think that the better option is a arcade table connected to the TV.

Something like this:

photo41_zpsb9d6e488.jpg

Wow, I am so unworthy...lol. You have set a goal for me. Beautiful set up.

• 5 weeks later...

I actually had never heard of the vewlix cabinets until this post.  I tried to build a cab years ago but built it for a CRT TV instead of an LCD monitor.  At the time I seem to remember that light guns wouldn't work with LCD displays, but maybe things have changed.  Anyway, the pics posted of the setup are really cool.  I never thought of just mounting the TV to the wall.  It's a great idea!

• 3 months later...
On 3/14/2016 at 2:27 AM, badflame said:

For great sizes, I think that the better option is a arcade table connected to the TV.

Something like this:

photo41_zpsb9d6e488.jpg

Now that is impressive...but I am an old fashioned guy and I prefer retro arcade cabinets for the full exprerience

• 4 weeks later...

That is an awesome set up! I think I might go with something like that for my first build if I ever have the cash for it!! Then possibly make a traditional stand up after that. 

On 13/3/2016 at 9:27 PM, badflame said:

Something like this:

photo41_zpsb9d6e488.jpg

awesome, i like it soooooooo much but.... im old schoolish guy and i love greats cabinets

On 14/3/2016 at 1:27 AM, badflame said:

Something like this:

photo41_zpsb9d6e488.jpg

Wow! 

I will do this thing or similar when I'll be moving to my new home.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 13/03/2016 at 9:27 PM, badflame said:

Something like this:

photo41_zpsb9d6e488.jpg

You rules! This room configuration is perfect for what I need. What frontend are you using?

Archived