Media Servers Online: EmuMovies Sync | Launchbox Sync | FTP USA | FTP Europe ×

Fixed ratio videosnap (640*480 or 320*240) for mame, does a set exists?

dark13

I was thinking to batch a 640*480 or 320*240 set of mame video using emumovies mame set. Does something like this already exists?

Videosnaps resolution obviously changes according to original resolution but for general theme on hyperspin if you want the video to be inside a specific space you need to force aspect ratio, so I guess having 4:3 mame videos with black stripes would be better.

I was planning a simple batch with format factory (h264 mp4), any suggestion?

• 2 weeks later...

That is a really good point, hmm I wouldn't want to make them the default but would make a great subset, with the HTPC themes and such.

I'm batch encoding anything that isn't 640x480 into letterbox 640x480. I'll start uploading by tomorrow to the FTP.

Thank you very much circo, this set will be useful with all frontends using non-per-games themes. Probably 3 screen game's videos like darius will look a bit "tiny" but I think it's a better solution than ratio-forcing videos inside a frontend :)

• 2 weeks later...

hmm actually adding black bars should be something handled by the frontends...not by video encodes....if bars should be added at all.

FE's should embed VLC or MPC...or other players.

This is honestly an issue with the FE's...which Circo tends to go out of his way to hide.

An example is how Circo currently does videos...he adds a fade from black at the start and a fade to black at the tail end...if you let the video loop...it looks mildly clunky compared to a smooth blend loop...but this is done so that things look really nice when first viewing the video. Really the fade from black should be done by the video player...and if not that...then a generated AVS script.

Your black bars are also something that should be done by the player...and if not that then an AviSynth script generated by the FE.

This is an old rant of mine and Circo will in all likely hood, scold me either here publicly or in a PM...it just seems like BS for him to keep polishing the turds that are the video players in FE's. It eats up storage and time for nothing more than to bandaid crap video player implementations.

Archived